Wednesday, September 5, 2012

How to Chevron

Check out my new blog: Sugar Spice and Sparkle!


My latest obsession (and it seems like everyone else's too) is the Chevron pattern!  I absolutely adore it! I love it in all colors and sizes and I want to cover everything with it!  Check out my Monogramed Chevron Poster!

So I am going to teach you how to draw using the computer :) I love computers!  So here we go:

First you need to decide how thick you want your stripes to be.  I like 2 inches so it is a nice, bold pattern, but depending on the size of your object you may want to go smaller or larger, if you do, just follow the steps with your number instead of 2 inches.

Next you need to cover whatever you are making (in this case we will say an 8.5" x 11" sheet of printer paper) with a grid of 2" squares, like so:

As you can see if you only want entire squares there will be excess on the edges when using a 2" square.  

Now we start the pattern.  I like to draw all of the lines in any one direction first, that way I don't have to keep shifting my ruler back and forth (the ruler is when I draw this, not do it on the computer lol)
So here are the first lines you draw: 

Then fill in the blank squares with lines going from the opposite corners:

Your final result before color:

A bunch of triangles!
How did it go? Please leave me any comments you have! You're almost done :)

Finally, add your color!  Do so as seen here:

Now the only step left is to erase the extra lines (assuming you want white as your 2nd color) and you are done!  Here is my virtual navy and white Chevron:
What do you think?  Easy enough right?! Now you too can fall in love with this great, easy DIY pattern!  The possibilities are endless!


Orange and Blue

Black and White

Lavender and Mint

Rainbow


Ombré

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial! Comments always welcome :)
Follow me on Pinterest http://pinterest.com/kraftiekatie/




8 comments:

  1. Terrific Tutorial Katie! Thanks so much!! Looking forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What computer program did you use? You had mentioned it at the beginning of the post but then I didn't see anymore mention of it & you also said something about ruler. I am pretty new at all this but absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much for reading my blog :) I did this tutorial using Microsoft Word, so nothing fancy. And the part about using a ruler is for when I draw chevron by hand, as opposed to on the computer. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. Hi Katie how did you color the chevron I am trying but it is not working out could you please give the steps to it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie, Just wanted to thank you for making the logic of figuring out how to do a chevron pattern so easy to understand. I was beginning to think I'm a 'dum dum' because I was confused by another blog I read. Now I understand completely and can't wait to get started on a project. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thank you so much! I am so happy you found the tutorial helpful!
      Katie

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete