Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Embroidered Pocket Tee Tutorial

Also known as a 'frocket' the pocket tee is a wardrobe essential on any college campus! Learn how to make your own here!

Onto the fun stuff!  If you are a preppy girl or a sorority girl then you probably love a good 'frocket', like me (btw I am preppy, not sorority)!  In this tutorial you will see not only how to add a cute pocket but how to embroider it for even more cuteness!


First things first:
Draw out a pocket pattern.  Doesn't have to be perfect (you know how perfection goes over on this blog!) just make a general pocket shape that is about 4" by 5".  Make sure to leave the little flaps as shown in the picture.

**Update! Click here for a printable version!  All you have to do is print and cut!
Copy and paste this link to share the pattern with friends! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw1R1Y2V5RzkamhwLW51cmJJUW8/edit?usp=sharing


Next cut out a rectangle of fabric that is bigger than your pattern.  Place onto your embroider hoop, in between your tear away stabilizer and water soluble stabilizer(if you're using a knit fabric like I did (which for beginners I suggest you do NOT use knit! It is hard to work with)).


Embroider what ever your heart desires on there!  In this case I was making one for a friend so I just did her initial, but a monogram would also be adorable!  Maybe I'll do one of those real soon!


 Cut out the fabric using your pattern.  Make sure your embroidery is going to end up in the center of where you cut :)

Fold (or even better iron) in the flaps.  Sew a straight stitch across the top of the pocket.  Then pin onto the shirt (I used a LOT of pins) in the correct placement.  Finally carefully sew around the pocket (***leaving the top open***) as close to the edge as you can.

Thats it!

As always leave me questions and comments below!  Follow me on Instagram for daily preppy/crafty/fun pics (@kraftiekatie)

Enjoy your new shirt!



No comments:

Post a Comment